Tuesday, January 26, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: World War Z

I waited a day because I really wanted to review World War Z, and I only finished it ten minutes ago.

We're fond of Zombies right now. First it was Ninjas, then Penguins, then Pirates, and now everyone is into Zombies. Zombies are both comical and terrifying. Comical because, in a movie, nothing is funnier than the living dead shuffling after some poor sap, arms raised, moans loud and pathetic. Terrifying because, really, if a killing machine was coming at me, bent on the goal of eating my brains, I would literally pee my pants.

World War Z is an account of the fictitious zombie war, which takes place in an alternate present day. Rather than being a narrative, it is a collection of interviews with survivors of the conflict. The result is an account that is at times heartwarming and comical, but mostly just terrifying. I actually had a dream last night that my family and I were trapped underground with zombies closing in around us. I was bitten and woke up right after realizing that my husband would have to shoot me so I didn't become a danger to everyone else. That is what this book does to you. That said, I recommend it to anyone. It is incredibly well-written, engaging, and exceedingly hard to put down. The writing is so realistic that it makes you a bit paranoid, watching the trees a bit and checking your backseat for the undead before climbing into your car.

This is one of the best books I've read this year, and definitely makes the top 25 I've ever read. Even if you aren't a typical fan of Zombies, this is a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment